Job advertisement: Scientific Editor
Mecila (Maria Sibylla Merian International Centre for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences Conviviality-Inequality in Latin America) is a joint project of the following German and Latin American research institutions: Freie Universität Berlin (coordination); Ibero-Amerikanisches Institut (Berlin); Universität zu Köln (Cologne); Universidade de São Paulo and Centro Brasileiro de Análise e Planejamento (São Paulo); Instituto de Investigaciones en Humanidades y Ciencias Sociales (Universidad Nacional de La Plata/Conicet, La Plata); and El Colegio de México (Mexico City). The Centre builds on an international research network that focuses on the co-constitution of conviviality and inequality from an interdisciplinary perspective and addresses the processes of negotiation, legitimation, transformation, and representation of existing hierarchies as they take place in everyday interactions and within institutions. Established in 2017 and headquartered in São Paulo, the Centre is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). For more details, please see: http://mecila.net/
Mecila invites candidates to apply for the position Scientific Editor for a period of 3 years, renewable for another 3 years, starting in April 2020. The salary is compatible with the level of demands and responsibilities of the position.
The position advertised in this call is pending the BMBF’s final approval of the main phase of the Centre.
- A PhD degree in the humanities or the social sciences;
- Full oral and written command of English;
- Experience with editorial processes for the publication of scientific articles, books, and other types of publications;
- Effective teamwork and communication skills;
- Willingness to reside in São Paulo.
- Excellent oral and written command of Spanish;
- Interest and familiarity with the thematic focus of the Centre.
- Coordination of the whole editing process of Mecila’s Working Paper Series, e.g.: prospection of contributors, coordination of the peer-review process, contact with authors, reviewers, and translators, copy-editing process, proofreading, and other relevant activities);
- Coordination of other publications of Mecila, e.g.: edited books, dossiers, scientific articles, science-policy papers;
- Support the production of videos, podcasts and other outreach activities;
- Assistance to Mecila’s Investigators and Fellows with regard to publishing their research outcomes.
Applicants for the position must send the following documents in English, Spanish or Portuguese via e-mail as a single pdf-attachment no later than 28 February 2020 to the Coordination Office in São Paulo (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Motivation letter (max. 500 words);
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 3 pages);
- Copy of relevant diplomas and certificates;
- Examples of editorial work.
For further inquiries regarding the position or the application process, please contact Mecila’s Coordination Office in São Paulo via e-mail (email@example.com) or telephone (+55 11 5574 0399, extension number 118).
This call is also available on a PDF file.