Job advertisement: Scientific Manager
Mecila (Maria Sibylla Merian International Centre for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences Conviviality-Inequality in Latin America) is a joint project of the following German and Latin American research institutions: Freie Universität Berlin (coordination); Ibero-Amerikanisches Institut (Berlin); Universität zu Köln (Cologne); Universidade de São Paulo and Centro Brasileiro de Análise e Planejamento (São Paulo); Instituto de Investigaciones en Humanidades y Ciencias Sociales (Universidad Nacional de La Plata/Conicet, La Plata); and El Colegio de México (Mexico City). The Centre builds on an international research network that focuses on the co-constitution of conviviality and inequality from an interdisciplinary perspective and addresses the processes of negotiation, legitimation, transformation, and representation of existing hierarchies as they take place in everyday interactions and within institutions. Established in 2017 and headquartered in São Paulo, the Centre is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
Mecila invites candidates to apply for the position of Scientific Manager for a period of 3 years, renewable for another 3 years, starting in April 2020. The salary is compatible with the level of demands and responsibilities of the position.
The position advertised in this call is pending the BMBF’s final approval of the main phase of the Centre.
- Management experience, in particular of international scientific projects or networks.
- Effective leadership, teamwork, and communication skills, as well as talent for organization and ability to work in an autonomous, creative, and structured way;
- A PhD degree in the humanities or the social sciences;
- Excellent oral and written command of English, German, and Portuguese;
- Willingness to reside in São Paulo and to travel extensively (in Brazil and abroad).
- Experience with academic and research funding systems in Germany, Brazil, or other Latin American countries;
- Excellent oral and written command of Spanish;
- Interest and familiarity with the thematic focus of the Centre.
- Overall management of the Centre, including the implementation of the measures decided by Mecila’s Executive Board and Board of Directors, coordination of communication with the consortium institutions, management of the Centre’s Coordination Office (including personnel administration, management of financial resources, and coordination of substantive and financial reporting);
- Support to the cooperation and exchange among Mecila’s Investigators and Fellows;
- Cooperation with local partners and institutions to consolidate the Centre;
- Coordination of applications for fundraising;
- Conception and coordination of academic events;
- Management of travels and visits by members and guests of the Centre;
- Other relevant coordination activities.
Applicants must send the following documents in English, Spanish or Portuguese via e-mail as a single pdf-attachment no later than 28 February 2020 to the Coordination Office in São Paulo (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Motivation letter (max. 500 words);
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 3 pages);
- Copy of relevant diplomas and certificates.
For further inquiries regarding the position or the application process, please contact Mecila’s Coordination Office in São Paulo via e-mail (email@example.com) or telephone (+55 11 5574 0399, extension number 118).
This call is also available on a PDF file.