- A PhD degree in the humanities or social sciences obtained within the last 5 years from the date of application
- A track record of training, research, and /or publications in Mecila’s subject areas
- A clear dedication to, and prior experience of working at the intersection of research and the arts or activism
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to and interest in actively participating in an international, interdisciplinary, and collective research environment
- An ambitious and innovative project at the intersection of research and art/activism that will enhance the applicant’s career prospects and the transfer into wider society
- Develop independent research project of relevance to the Narratives of Urban Convivialtiy-Inequality within the Research Area [Hi]Stories of Mecila
- Lead in the preparation and organization of a transfer activity in São Paulo, Brazil, or Cologne, Germany, together with members of the Research Area [Hi]Stories and two or three of their collaboration partners in the arts and/or activism.
- Participate actively in the Centre’s activities (including the weekly colloquia) and engage in interdisciplinary exchange
Applicants must fill in the Application Form linked below and send the following documents in English, Spanish, or Portuguese, using the link provided on the Form, in a single pdf-attachment no later than 31 July 2023:
- Motivation letter (max. 500 words)
- Outline of Research Project and Transfer Workshop, describing current research and envisioned contribution to the Centre (max. 1.500 words)
- Work plan detailing how the project will be realised during the stay at the Centre in São Paulo, including a list of relevant potential participants in the arts/activism
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications
- Two recent samples of their work at the intersection of research and arts/activism
To access the Application Form, please use the following link or QR Code: https://uni.koeln/X38HL
Criterios de selección
Applications from prospective Fellows will be submitted to a peer-review process. The primary selection criterion is the applicant’s potential to yield original and excellent research and transfer activities through a Mecila Urban Narratives Fellowship. In a committee of researchers and in consultation with an artist/activist, the merit of the project will be assessed in terms of its originality, the importance of the scientific and societal questions addressed, and its relevance to Mecila and wider society. An appropriate concept and a feasible timeframe will also be part of the assessment. Final decisions will be taken by Mecila’s Executive Board, in close consultation with its Advisory Board, aiming at disciplinary and gender balance as well as intersectional equity and an adequate regional representation. We aim to inform the applicants of the selection results by the end of December 2023.
For further inquiries regarding the Fellowship or the application process, please refer to our FAQ available at Mecila’s website. In case of further questions please contact Mecila’s Coordination Team in Cologne via e-mail (email@example.com).
By applying to this Fellowship, you consent that we use the information you provide for the Fellowship process.